Saturday, February 27, 2010

Our Favorite Soup...Chicken & Wild Rice

Ready for another family favorite?  This one is a keeper!  As far as soups go, this is our absolute top choice...we love it!  And guess what?  It's surprisingly easy to prepare.  (Yay!)  This was given to me by my friend, Cindy several years ago.  We were speaking about it recently and she mentioned it was said to be a recipe from The White House (yes, that White House)...no wonder it's sooo good!  ;  )

You will need:
1 medium onion, chopped
10 oz mushrooms (sliced)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
6 Tablespoons Butter (For the last batch, we used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter instead)
6 oz wild rice (cooked)
1/2 cup flour
6 cans chicken broth (we use 4 cans and add more if necessary)
2 cups Half & Half (we use fat free)
1/2 pound Velveeta cheese (we use 2%) (cubed)
1 pound chicken (cooked and cut into bite sized pieces)
1/2 cup white cooking wine

(Substituting I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Fat Free Half & Half and 2 % Velveeta barely altered the taste, but did make the broth thinner than the original version.)


















Prepare rice according to package instructions.  In a separate skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and garlic in butter or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter until onions are tender and semi-clear. 



Add flour and toss quickly until most everything is coated.

Immediately pour in one can of the chicken broth, stir in to combine.  Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.

After 15 minutes, add remainder of broth, chicken, rice, cheese & wine, stir to combine. 


Transfer to a deep pot.  Add 1-2 more cans of broth if you'd like. Cook for 10 more minutes.  Lastly, add the half & half.  Stir to combine well and remove from heat.  Serve and enjoy! 

If you'd like to see more recipes, stop by Colleen's Weekly Recipe Exchange at And Baby Makes Five


8 comments:

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Looks yummy on a cold day like this!
Wylie

Just a little something from Judy said...

This is definitely going in my file, now. It looks so good and so easy. My kind of recipe. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Sue said...

Tracy, this is our absolute favorite soup also. Cindy made it for the Cougar Crop several years ago, and everyone RAVED about it. So, I got the recipe and it quickly became a favorite with my family. (In fact, I think I need to put it on the menu for this week. Yumm-o!!)

Diana Ferguson said...

Tracy,

I'll have a cup please!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I'll have to save this one for when my Mom and Dad come over for lunch. I'm the only mushroom lover here so I'll have to wait for them ;)

This soup looks and sounds so good!

Connie Barris said...

I was just telling my husband that I wanted a new recipe for a soup...

girl.. you heard my prayer... hehe

specially since I'm a picture kind of person

Happy@Home said...

On this cold day, as the snowflakes are flying, I am thinking this soup looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Michele Williams said...

mmmm... I'd like a cup of soup now...

God bless you...