Thursday, August 6, 2009

2009 Scripture Memory Challenge #14 & 15

Lest you think I had forgotten about the Scripture Memory Challenge, I wanted to share with you my current passage, but first the one that happened to fall during my vacation last month...

As I sat on the beach, staring out at the vast ocean, I couldn't help but think of our Creator. Beautiful water in varying shades of blue as far as your eye can see, endless waves lightly tumbling onto the sand -- so incredibly peaceful and calming.

As each day came to a close, we looked forward to yet another breathtaking display as the glorious sunset painted its way across the sky. I've always loved sunsets, but they seem especially beautiful to me when viewed from the beach. = ) They never fail to bring to mind God's glory and magnificent artistry, which couldn't help but inspire my scripture selection. I thought Psalm 19:1-2 (NIV) described it perfectly:

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge."

As I consider my current scripture (as with all previous choices), it is especially meaningful to me at the present time, as well.

Isaiah 26:3-4 (NLT)

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.

You may remember I mentioned in a previous post that Tom has been awaiting word about the possible outsourcing of his job. Well, we learned yesterday the firm is going forward with the outsourcing contract. While the affected 12 employees will have the opportunity to interview, there are no guarantees of employment. In addition, the outsource company has decided to eliminate 3 of the 12 positions (as yet unnamed). This process should be complete by October 1st.

Unsettling? No doubt. Some of those affected have been employed by the firm for many years. They never imagined anything like this could happen. Tom was able to make several different contacts yesterday/last night and he will of course, continue to do so as well as interview with the outsource company. Although it's hard to think we may be entering into a long and difficult "season," we both truly have a definite measure of peace. This entire matter rests in God's capable hands. That's right, the same God who created that vast ocean, and those beautiful sunsets knows and cares about our every need. I'm' reminded of other challenging times when He not only provided for our needs, but often far exceeded them. He has proven himself trustworthy time and time again.

Maybe you or someone you know is in a similar situation at this time. Friends, be encouraged by this promise. Not only can we trust the Lord to meet our every need, we can also trust Him to bring peace to our soul. We need only narrow our gaze and keep our hearts and minds fixed on Him, rather than the circumstances that surround us. One of the best ways to do that is through prayer and memorizing scripture...why not join me and start with this one? I'm praying for you...

9 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

As I sat here and read this today, I am reminded of so many others that are facing what you two are. So much unsettledness, unrest, and uncertainty in the job market today. Your insight and your faith in our Heavenly Father is so encouraging and inspiring. It is THE bottom line in life! The verses you shared continue to be ones I hang on to...sometimes so tightly. And, like you said, He continues to prove Himself trustworthy...time and time again. Thank you for sharing your heart today, and the uncertain "season" that you are facing.

Betsy said...

Thank you for sharing this. I needed to be reminded about this. I have been unemployed since March 2008. I have even said to the Lord that if He wanted me to move, I would. So far nothing yet.

I live in California.

In my Sunday School class, we are doing a study on prayer. It is really good.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dearest Tracy,

My prayers are with you and Tom. God certainly knows which of His children He can use to bring about His glory through uncertain circumstances.

I love you much and will definitely keep you in the forefront of my mind and prayers.

~ Amy

Jennifer said...

God's peace truly is amazing...peace that is ours when our days and situation should indiciate anything but peace! Great verse...tuck it away well - and it will be there when you need it most!

Kristi said...

Tracy, I LOVE this post...for many reasons. Your beautiful heart and devotion for the Lord once again shines through every word. This is my favorite line, "As each day came to a close, we looked forward to yet another breathtaking display as the glorious sunset painted its way across the sky." Oh, to live each day like this. I will be praying for you both as you seek the Lord in this matter that matters so much to Him. Blessings to you!

Tricia said...

What great verses Tracy... I love both of them. You have reminded me that I need to post mine also, I have been slack about posting them this summer.

I will be in prayer for your husband's job... He definitely is trustworthy and faithful and will work everything out for your good and His glory...

Blessings!

Becky said...

I'm so glad you were able to get away for some R&R with peace of mind...not only for the folks at home, but with regard to the job situation.

Jeff and I have been down that exact road before...both when he was unemployed for a year early in our marriage, and then more recently when California budget issues took money from education and pink slips were handed out to a lot of teachers. Our area took a real hit. Thank the Lord Jeff was not among the ones that got the pink slips...but we knew that no matter what, just as He saw us through the other time...He would do so again.

Some of our richest learning and growth experiences (both as a couple and in learning to fully rely on God) were borne of that difficult season...and I wouldn't trade it for anything...though I'm thankful we're this side of it all now.

You're in my prayers...and I continue to pray for your dad whenever I think of his situation, too.

Yolanda said...

Will you be going in January to the p.a.r.t.y.?

Lovingly,
Yolanda