Friday, January 2, 2009

2009 Scripture Memory Challenge

I took a moment this morning to stop by Beth Moore’s blog. I was so excited by what I saw! As a means of growing ever-closer to the Lord, she put out a challenge to her readers to join her in memorizing scripture this year. On the first and fifteenth of every month, those wishing to take part are asked to leave their name, location and the scripture chosen in a comment (as a means of accountability). As I prepared to leave my comment, I realized there were over 2,000 people who had already done so (and the number is still climbing!!) That’s an enormous amount of scripture across our country being memorized and meditated upon! Memorizing scripture is so important to our overall spiritual well-being. Like reading God’s Word, it builds and strengthens our faith for the inevitable trials that will come our way, and it draws us into a closer walk with the Lord. So often in my own life, passages I have memorized surface at the precise time I need them. Sometimes it’s for a friend or family member, other times for me.

I’ve taken this challenge, and I’m excited to think I’ll have 24 new passages committed to memory by the end of this year. As an added measure of accountability, I plan to share my verses with you here on the first and fifteenth of each month. I’m starting with the scripture I posted on New Year’s Eve, though at a friend’s request, I’m adding one additional verse (thanks, Paula!)

Lamentations 3:21-25 (NLT)
Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!” The Lord is good to those who depend on him, to those who search for him.


What about you? Want to join us? Let me know in a comment and then head over to Beth Moore’s blog and sign on!

Rejoicing…
Tracy

11 comments:

Tricia said...

Hey Tracy! I too have joined Beth in her quest for more scripture memorization this year! The first one I am working on is Isaiah 33:6, (I can't quote it yet or I would type it here, I just started working on it yesterday :)

Happy New Year & Sweet Blessings to you!

Kristi said...

What a fantastic idea! You picked a wonderful verse to start with. I giggled as I just read what I typed...aren't they all wonderful scriptures? May God bless you in your efforts to know Him more. I think you are pretty wonderful and I know He does too! Blessings sweet friend.

Anonymous said...

The hubby and I are doing a Scripture memory challenge from Challies.com. While we won't then be doing Beth Moore's challenge, we will be joining you in hiding God's Word in our hearts. Have a blessed New Year!

Amydeanne said...

i'll have to go and check it out! it sounds great!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Sounds like a real gift! To plant truth deep into our hearts! Looking forward to the harvest...

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

OK...going to try and do mine from memory...

Isaiah 54:10

"'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,' says the LORD who has compassion on you."

OK...a couple of peeks. Love the challenge put to us. So simple, yet so often our neglect. This holds me accountable to some degree.

Happy Weekend.

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...

I am doing this as well... it is so cool! I am thrilled to know that I am going to be able to have 24 scriptures memorized by the end of the year.

My first pick: Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will.

I am so excited that so many others are joining us to do this. I pray that God is pleased.
God bless!
Heather

Leaon Mary said...

I read this at Beth's site, and I'm thrilled you're taking this challenge Tracy. To be honest, I'd forgotten about it! So I'm so happy to read this tonight. I'll head over and join in...

24 new passages written on the tablet of our hearts... who would want to pass on that!

I'm on my way...
Hugs,
L

Laurie Ann said...

Awesome challenge! I'm so glad you're doing this!

Tricia said...

I love the new look, thanks for stopping by today!

Blessings!

Susan said...

Hey Tracy,

Your blog looks great! I'm taking the challenge too.

You choose a great scripture, and a long one at that!

Blessings my sweet friend♥