Thursday, January 15, 2009

Scripture Memory Challenge - Verse #2

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:1-2 (NIV)

God has been speaking to my heart recently through many different avenues about renewal. He's creating in me a real hunger and thirst for it. I’m praying earnestly to fully submit my will to His, as I ask Him to do a major work of spiritual renewal within me. That's one of the reasons I’ve decided to take part in the Scripture Memory Challenge. I want His word to transform and renew the way I think!

This desire for the renewing of my mind actually began several months ago. You may or may not know I began a weight loss journey in September. For many years, I had given food a place of prominence in my life it never should have had. I knew it, and felt shame over it, but I wasn’t willing to let it go. For too long, I listened to the enemy tell me I would never have victory over this area of my life. As I prayed, God began to create in me a deep desire to honor Him by taking better care of the body He had given me. When the enemy would threaten with discouragement, the Lord would encourage me with verses like Isaiah 43:18-19. "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past; See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." He wanted me to forget past failures, set my eyes firmly on Him, and trust in His ability to change me. I finally got it, and I was READY. Wouldn’t you know, within a couple of days I received a company-wide invitation to join Weight Watchers at Work? I was the first one to sign up! Since that time, I’ve radically changed the way I think about food (how I prepare it, what I’m eating, how much I’m eating, etc…) I’ve broken a number of long-standing poor eating habits, incorporated daily exercise, and lost a significant amount of weight (24 pounds, so far). Physically, I feel better than I have in years. Best of all is the joy that comes from knowing this area of my life is now far more pleasing to God than it was at this time last year. As I continue to rely on Him for strength, He continues to walk faithfully with me on this journey every day.

As you might imagine, these changes have inspired and ignited my desire for the Lord’s continued renewal and transformation of my mind. I’ve already been so encouraged by meditating on and committing to memory the first scripture. I’m excited to see how God will move in this process throughout the year.

It’s not too late, if you wish to take part. Simply go to lproof.org and sign up, or you’re welcome to journey along with me. In either case, just leave your name, location and the verse you’ve decided to commit to memory, between now and January 31st. (For those who have already signed up, I’d love to hear your second scripture!) Blessings!

10 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

God is doing a great work in you, Tracy. I love the renewing that is taking place! 24 lbs. is awesome and the Scripture memory is a grand idea. May God continue to transform you and renew you. I love the Isaiah 43:18-19 Scripture. I may use it for next WFW if you don't mind! Praying with you as you journey with God throughout this year.

Kristi said...

Tracy, what an encouraging post! I can relate on so many levels. May God continue to bless you as you so faithfully strive to be more like Jesus. He shines so beautifully through you.

Susan said...

I'm on board Tracy!

Now, I need to start the exercise part.

I'm sooooooooooooooooo PROUD of you♥

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I'm going to take up that challenge. I'm going to have to think about which verse I want to memorize though. I have a little surprise for you over at my blog.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Hey friend,

My story sounds a lot like yours. As you know, I started WW 2 weeks ago. Now, I'm down 10.2 pounds. I want so much more than the weight loss to change. I feel the urge of God moving me for more of Him.

Thanks for sharing this and so much more!

Love,
Cheryl

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

So very proud of you my friend. Taking notes over here! I'm making this the year to change some things about my eating. Exercise has never been problem. Mine is my eating habits. As it goes with my stomach, so it goes with my heart.

Let's make this the year of heart health all around.

Pictures please.

peace~elaine

Becky said...

LOVED this post. You really could package all your posts in an inspirational, devotional format and sell it (though I enjoy getting to read it for free here, lol).

Good for you with that 24 pound weight loss! That's something I'm going to be striving for myself this year.

Wouldn't it be great if every believer committed to memorizing scripture for personal spiritual growth? It could revolutionize the direction of our country.

Leaon Mary said...

Twenty four POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPY!!!! You are SWEET INSPIRATION TRACY! The verse you picked is perfect. I learned that one a few years ago when I used to walk with Kim Alexis. She had it on her praise walk cd!!
My second verse is the following verse to my first... - but it is: Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

Have a great weekend!
Beeeeeeeeeeee HEALTHY
4 Him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie Ann said...

Hi. It's me again. I have something here for you:

http://magnoliaheartbeats.blogspot.com/2009/01/awards-day-sweet-sweet-denise-from.html

Love ya,
Laurie Ann

Tricia said...

That is a wonderful verse, and one that just jumped off the page at me as I read it right now, as I have been reading about being a living sacrifice... I think God is getting my attention!

I pray that God would bless you as you seek to allow His Word to renew and transform your mind... that is a desire that I am sure He is thrilled to fulfill!

Blessings!