Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Winter Wonderland

For the last few weeks, I've read on a number of blogs about snowfalls all over the country...even in some areas which typically have little (if any). We had managed to get by with just a little here and there (albeit with record cold temps)...until now. We got 4 1/2 inches yesterday, then starting last night several hours of freezing rain, then, this morning several additional inches! Wow. It's positively beautiful.

When the freezing rain started last night, Tom and I decided we were going to use a vacation day and not attempt getting out on the roads this morning. Just moments after waking today, I learned our firm had closed due to the weather. Thank you Lord! I retreated to my favorite chair for my time with the Lord, grateful it would be completely unhurried. Afterwards, I sat down at the computer and almost immediately our power went off. It was only about 6:30 by this time so we decided to go back to bed for a little while. Within a couple of hours, power was restored and we were quite well-rested. Thank you Lord! We bundled up and headed outside to enjoy the beautiful snow and take some photos.

Back inside, I chatted with my Mom & sister on the phone and learned my brother-in-law, David and his employees had been out doing snow removal for more than 36 hours. Needless to say, they were exhausted and she was really concerned. We've been praying for them all throughout the day.

Later, Tom and I decided it was time to go and shovel at least a part of the driveway. Because of the heavy coating of ice in between the snow, it was very heavy. After about 20 minutes, we were already feeling worn out. A cheerful young man came up and said, would you like us to do your driveway? (Seriously!?!) He and two friends gave us their price and it was quite fair. Woo-hoo! We headed back into the warm house saying once again...Thank you Lord!

As I was preparing dinner, I spoke to my sister briefly again. My brother-in-law is still out working. It's going on about 44 straight hours now. If you would, please lift a prayer for David and his guys. Thank you.
Hope you're safe and warm wherever this finds you tonight.

Blessings,
Tracy

13 comments:

Kristi said...

Your photos are beautiful. Your brother in law has to be exhausted. I'm praying for him tonight.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

That snow is stunning, albeit a bit dangerous! Hoping you're enjoying a night of snuggle and movies and a warm fire (hey, a girl can dream!). I'm gearing up for American Idol. Honestly, two nights in a row is too much of my time! Bible study will start soon, and I'll have to record it.

Happy snow days.

peace~elaine

Christy said...

We have about 10 inches of snow here in Ohio. It was a fun-filled day for my kids while I stayed inside warm and cozy:) I did make it out a few times but only to snap some pictures. Your pictures are beautiful!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Thank you for the beautiful snow and ice pictures. Isn't it so beautiful when every little twig is covered? And yes, I did say a pray for your brother-in-law. We are so grateful for men like him and his company. We had snow and ice and now a cold front is moving in. I really like winter. Stay warm.

Leaon Mary said...

Hey Tracy,
We were hit with the same storm. Thankfully our elec stayed on and all was well.
Your pictures are beautiful!!!
Happy belated birthday to your sweet Brennan. IS HE A CUTIE OR WHAT?
EGADS....
Thee "proposal story," made me cry!
awwwwwwwwwwww AINT LOVE GRAND?
SIGH*
You are getting a beautiful new daughter in love!!!
I sure have missed yall... just haven't been able to get on the computer much at all having company here.
Stay warm!
Talk to ya soon...
BTW I have a soup recipe for you... don't let me forget k?
Hugs,
L

Kristen said...

Tracy!

I LOVE snow days too. We got over a foot of the white stuff here in Indy. I was thankful we didn't get the ice. It's beautiful... but usually it does take the power out! Glad you are safe and cozy!
These are those "time-out" days that we can be thankful for a warm home, heat, hugs... and coffee! :)

Praying that David and his guys got some much needed rest. We have a good friend in the same boat here. I bet he's still out moving snow.

Becky said...

Yay for snow days!! There is just something so wonderful about an unexpected day off like that...and that you're sort of homebound seems to make it even more special.

Your photos are lovely, and what a blessing to have some eager young guys come up to help with the shoveling!

Keep warm!

Tricia said...

That is absolutely beautiful... but I know it is cold! We hardly ever get weather like that here... when we do absolutely everything shuts down and people go crazy buying all the food at the grocery stores!

Glad you are safe and warm... I pray that David is finished working, or at least has had a break for some rest...

Blessings!

Laurie Ann said...

It's so beautiful! I love the pictures, Tracy. So glad you had a good snowday. Praying for David and his crew now. I wish I had checked last night and would have most definitely been praying then!

Joyful said...

Tracy, I posted about snow today too, because this is the verse I read in my devotional this morning: "He directs the snow to fall on the earth...Then everyone stops working so they can watch his power" (Job 37:6-7).

It is breathtakingly beautiful out there today! The pictures you've shared capture God's majestic splendor in creation so wonderfully. If you want to see some more of our winter wonderland, my post today gives a link to my friends blog who posted amazing pictures at Niagra Falls. (On my "Pondering In His Presence" blog.)

Rejoicing in all of God's creation,
Joy
PS. Hope to come back later tonight to read the 'proposal' post - looks great, but I have to sign off for now!

Yolanda said...

Tracy,

I found you on our New Siesta's blog....my BFF lives in Camp Dix, is that very close to you? I travel there each year to spend a few days with her.

Also, beautiful pictures, and the thoughts of your brother-in-law brought a lump. As just two years ago, we were in ice without power for days here in Kansas. We still, STILL have men in our town working to repair electricity poles in our county. TWO years later...44 hours is along time without much needed rest.

Yolanda

Addicted to Beadz said...

Seems like a lot of people got a part of this storm. We had almost 24 hours of sleet after about 12 hours of freezing rain. The sleet made things so much better. I was thankful I didn't have to get out and didn't lose electricity.

Thanks for your prayers and comments and yes very definitely relieved, happy, grateful and so many more emotions.

Love,
Cheryl

Paula V said...

The college for which I work ended up closing the last four days. Yes, that's four days of hibernation for me. What would normally and should have been a mini vacation...became not only a physical but emotional and mental hibernation. Not necessarily good for my soul. I do much better with routine and structure...these snow days would've been something to charish when I was not alone but hibernation and solitude don't go well with me.

I did capture some unique and cool pictures. I don't have them on my computer yet.