Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Join Me in Prayer on this Important Day in History

While visiting the Presidential Prayer Team site this morning, I read a beautiful prayer written by one it's members, Donna Pirone. I've made it my prayer on this historic and significant Inauguration Day, and I invite you to do the same...

"This is the day which the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."
~ Psalm 118:24


Father, we give you thanks for this special day to celebrate the inauguration of our new president. While he was being formed in his mother's womb, you charted every day of his life. You knew from his beginning that one day he would be elected president of our great nation. We ask that your hand of guidance, protection, and blessing will follow him all the days of his life.

Today, he stands before you and before our nation with his hand on your Word to pledge his allegiance to you and to us. We need his help, he needs our help, and together we all need your help, for without you we can do nothing. Will you protect him, and his family today from harm and from evil? As we pray for the new vice president, we ask that your guidance and direction will fill his mind and heart as he assists our new president. Will you protect him and his family today and keep him mindful of all that you are?

From the beginning of the opening prayer, to the end of the celebrating, may your name be praised in the heart of every American. We are so blessed, Father, and we need to remember that our freedom, our security, and our provisions come from you alone. Thank you for a government that is by the people, and for the people. May we acknowledge your presence in all that we do and say this day with thanksgiving and praise.

We ask these things in your name, Lord Jesus. Amen.

* * * * * * *

As you pray for the Obamas and the Bidens and their upcoming administration, please also pray God's blessings upon President and Mrs. Bush, as they prepare to leave public life and adjust to their new home in Dallas. Following Inauguration ceremonies, they depart Washington from Andrews Air Force Base, traveling to Midland, TX where they will participate in a welcome home event in Centennial Plaza. Pray for their safety and protection.

If you'd like to sign up to become a member of the Presidential Prayer Team, follow this link.

16 comments:

Melanie said...

Tracy, Thank you for posting this prayer today. It IS so important to know and understand that God has always known where our country would be today, who the new president would be, and on and on. I join you in prayer today!

Tricia said...

Thank you for posting this!

Blessings!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Thank you so very much for sharing this God inspired prayer with us. What an important responsibility we have to lift up these leaders, before our Almighty God. Knowing in our hearts, that they were God's choice for this time in history, no matter if we voted for them or not.

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Great post, Tracy. Thanks for sharing this beautiful prayer.

I wrote a similar post yesterday.

Blessings!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Oh Tracy, this was such a beautiful beautiful prayer. Thank you for posting it. I wrote a prayer on my site today and am going to check out the link you posted as well

LisaShaw said...

Thanks Tracy. I'm also signed up at the Presidential Prayer Team. Great website!

Becky said...

What a beautiful prayer. AMEN!

12-arrows said...

thank you for your post. Our nation will need prayer more than ever. Now about the Bush's that would be one welcome home reception I would love to watch. Maybe FOXNEWs will play some footage of it.

Laurie Ann said...

Beautiful and inspiring prayer - I prayed along as I read it. Thanks so much for sharing, Tracy.

Paula V said...

The day is almost done but they all most definitely continue to need our prayers and the guidance of the Holy One.
Love,
Paula

nomore said...

Hi there! it's my first time visiting and what a beautiful prayer! Thanks for the link... I think I'll go sign up now :O)

Blessings to you and yours!
In Him, Deanna

Leaon Mary said...

You *KNOW* I'm standing in faith with you.
YOUR PRAYER WAS INCREDIBLE!!!
AMEN AMEN AND AMEN! and WE CONTINUE TO PRAY.....

Susannah said...

Prayer for our leaders is always appropriate. Thanks for your faithfulness my friend! :~D

Kristen said...

Tracy,
What a beautiful prayer. As I woke up this morning my thoughts went to President Obama and President Bush. I thought about President Obama.. spending his first day in the Oval Office and the enormous responsibiltiy of his new job....and I prayed for him. I then thought about President Bush... I wondered what it felt like when his eyes opened this morning. Was there a sigh of relief, a bittersweet moment of sadness as he realized that today is the first day he wakes up as a former President...the weight of the world lifting off his shoulders? And I prayed for him. I prayed for their families and I prayed for our country.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Great post my friend. Thanks for sharing this and so much more.

Love,
Cheryl

Alex said...

PTL that HIS plan is sovereign :) Praying for America & its new leadership today. Blessings to you this week!